Saturday, March 2, 2013

You're Stronger Than You Think


Six months and one day ago, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.  In other words, I couldn't stop drinking and I was miserable, hopeless, and ashamed.  I may not have been clear-headed but I knew for certain that I was on a destructive path.  In fact, I realized that I ruining my life.  I was actually ruining it.  And for what?  A drink?  That realization was terrifying.  I don't have any issue with my friends or family drinking, but I despise what it does to people with alcoholism.  I was in deep denial about my addiction for a few years.  Fortunately, I hit an emotional rock bottom and was able to have that pivotal moment of clarity.  I want to live to my potential so I had to make a change.  It was obvious.  I could either live a half-assed life of an alcoholic, or I could quit drinking and live the life that I've imagined.    

If you had told me that I would be sitting in Tahoe this afternoon, with six months of sobriety under my belt, I would have thought you were high as hell.  But here I am.  Getting sober is the smartest thing I've ever done and I never want to go back.  Life is so much better today.  

xx,

E


2 comments: