Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Hottest 90 Minutes of my Life


It was 110 degrees inside the studio and not a pair of pants was in sight.  I had arrived at Bikram's Yoga College in Costa Mesa.  Bikram yoga, otherwise known as 'hot yoga', is a 90-minutes series of poses and exercises in a heated room.  The purpose of the high temperature is to enhance flexibility while cleansing toxins from the body.  However, the baking room will also cause you to panic for your life if you forget to breathe.  Even when beads of sweat begin to cover your entire body within minutes, BREATHE.  I have never sweat so much in my entire life.  Honestly, I saw more sweaty men in underwear tonight than I've seen in...a while.  Lots of men.  Sweating.  In underwear.  Ick.  I think they came for the half-naked women.  It was quite an intimate experience for a room full of strangers.  All in all, I burned about 1,000 calories and I feel awesome.  Bikram wasn't as scary as I had built it up to be.  In fact, I loved it and I'm going back tomorrow.  As for now, I'm going to jump into an ice bath.  [But not.]  Namaste.


1 comment:

  1. I asked a Buddhist if he wanted to come to hot yoga with me, and he responded "Namaste here, but have fun!"

    ReplyDelete